Note: Participants are required to complete their workshop within 4 weeks, and will have access to their account to review the content and exercises for one month following the end of the workshop.
Start Date: Tuesday, May 3, 2016
End Date: Monday, May 30, 2016
Format: Online Workshop (Can be accessed and completed any time during the workshop’s start and end date)
Access: Multi-day: Can be accessed at any time but must be completed within the four week period specified above.
Estimated Completion Time: Approximately 5 - 6 hours
Cost: This workshop, as with all Mitacs Step workshops, is free for both graduate students and postdoctoral fellows. However, the preauthorization of a valid credit card is required as part of the registration process. A $50 penalty will be applied to all late cancellations (cancellations that are not made 5 days or more before the workshop date), no shows, or incomplete attendance. These penalties are only charged after the completion of a workshop and no charges are ever made to students who participate in full. For answers to some frequently asked questions, please visit our help page: http://step.mitacs.ca/faq
If you find yourself frequently running out of time on a project or impending deadlines are making you anxious, this workshop is for you. You’ll learn how to make the most of every minute, avoid procrastination and other “time thieves,” and create achievable plans and schedules, based on project management best practices.
To deepen participants’ understanding of the time management techniques and knowledge that they need set clear goals, break down work tasks, and estimate task duration.
You will learn to:
- Accurately organize & estimate your workload
- Boost performance and productivity
- Drive the results that matter to you
- Take effective action to help follow-through
Key Topic Areas:
Define & Clarify What Matters
- Create daily routines that fuel your energy and action
- Learn some Project Management best practices to help you accurately plan
- Create effective Action Lists that drive results
- Apply tactics to help prioritize and defend action
- Define and decide what is important and urgent for you
Implement Effective & Sustainable Action
- Establish a weekly routine that quickly corrects and adapts your plans
- Self-correct behaviours around time thieves such as procrastination & distraction
- Self-Negotiate the first 15 minutes of important-but-not-urgent action
- Introduce controls to minimize interruptions, distraction, and procrastination
- Learn how to Assess before saying “Yes” to a new commitment
- Learn effective tactics that help negotiate your time with colleagues or managers
Boost Performance & Productivity
- Effective “Counterbalancing” : Learning how to task-switch for performance improvement
- Learn how to effectively drive sustainable action over the long term
- Introduce ways to switch tasks so that you recharge energy and enhance daily performance
Additional access information to the online workshop will be sent 2 business days in advance of the start date. If you have any questions please contact the Step team at email@example.com