*Registrations for this workshop are handled by Graduate Pathways to Success at the University of British Columbia.
Time Management - Vancouver
When: Tuesday, October 4, 2016
Time: 9:00am – 5:00pm (Registration starts at 8:45am)
Where: Thea Koerner House, 6371 Crescent Road, Point Grey Campus
If you find yourself frequently running out of time on a project or impending deadlines are making you anxious, this workshop is for you. You’ll learn how to make the most of every minute, avoid procrastination and other “time thieves,” and create achievable plans and schedules, based on project management best practices.
To deepen participants’ understanding of the time management techniques and knowledge that they need set clear goals, break down work tasks, and estimate task duration.
You will learn to:
- Accurately organize & estimate your workload
- Boost performance and productivity
- Drive the results that matter to you
- Take effective action to help follow-through
Key Topic Areas:
Define & Clarify What Matters
- Create daily routines that fuel your energy and action
- Learn some Project Management best practices to help you accurately plan
- Create effective Action Lists that drive results
- Apply tactics to help prioritize and defend action
- Define and decide what is important and urgent for you
Implement Effective & Sustainable Action
- Establish a weekly routine that quickly corrects and adapts your plans
- Self-correct behaviours around time thieves such as procrastination & distraction
- Self-Negotiate the first 15 minutes of important-but-not-urgent action
- Introduce controls to minimize interruptions, distraction, and procrastination
- Learn how to Assess before saying “Yes” to a new commitment
- Learn effective tactics that help negotiate your time with colleagues or managers
Boost Performance & Productivity
- Effective “Counterbalancing” : Learning how to task-switch for performance improvement
- Learn how to effectively drive sustainable action over the long term
- Introduce ways to switch tasks so that you recharge energy and enhance daily performance
This session is being offered in collaboration with the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies at the University of British Columbia (UBC). Within the Faculty both the Graduate Pathways to Success (GPS) and Postdoctoral Fellows Office (PDFO) programs host a palette of non-credit workshops, seminars and other activities designed for graduate students and postdoctoral fellows.