Time Management - Ottawa, ON
When: Monday, October 16, 2017
Time: 9am - 5pm (Registration begins at 8:45am)
Where: University of Ottawa
Room: Tabaret 119
Cost: This workshop is free for graduate students and postdoctoral fellows. However, the preauthorization of a valid credit card is required as part of the registration process. A $50 penalty will be applied to all late cancellations (cancellations that are not made 5 days or more before the workshop date), no shows, or incomplete attendance. These penalties are only charged after the completion of a workshop and no charges are ever made to those who participate in full.
For answers to frequently asked question regarding registration and eligibility, please visit our FAQ page: http://step.mitacs.ca/faq
This energetic, intensive one-day workshop will sharpen your professional time management skills and optimize your working week. Building on the Project Management Institute’s (PMI) best practices, methodologies, and productivity tactics, the workshop provides tools and techniques that can be applied to a partner industry project or employment-based role. Whether you’re handling dynamic timelines alone or within a team, you’ll be able to reach your project targets with the knowledge gained in this workshop.
We will review and apply relevant time management processes within a project management context. We will also cover successful productivity optimization and performance improvement tactics. We will focus on professional scenarios from individual and team perspectives.
The tactics shared in this workshop can improve your ability to focus, follow through, take effective action, manage your energy, schedule with increased accuracy and agility, and help ensure a more successful outcome.
You will learn to:
· Optimize your professional days and weeks
· Effectively define targets and goals so that they are clear and sustainable
· Accurately estimate activity duration
· Improve focus and better manage interruptions
· Reduce corrective communication
· Better defend project schedules without sacrificing relationship quotient
· Improve and leverage personal energy for sustainable follow-through on activities
Key Topic Areas:
Defining time management:
· PMI definitions and process review
· Identifying key symptoms of poor time management
· Key differences between individual and team-based approaches
Defining Goals with clarity to uncover potential costly assumptions
Action Logic: Breaking Down Work effectively to better organize action
Designing Activities for effective follow-through
· Estimating Duration more accurately
· Visual Plotting techniques and tools
Dynamic Iterative Planning
Activity Optimization: Top Tactics for personal & professional success
· 5 Keys to action follow-through
- Improving Focus Management - Tactics
- Reducing Corrective Communication Time (Written & Meetings)
- Reducing Overallocation & Scope creep: Assess Before Yes
21 Day Challenge:
- Review & Rank 3 key tactics to apply over the next 21 days
If you have any questions please contact the Training team at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please also contact us if you have a serious allergy or dietary condition at least one week prior to the workshop and we will do our best to accommodate you.