*Registrations for this workshop are handled by Graduate Pathways to Success at the University of British Columbia.
Business Writing for Today's Professional – Vancouver
When: Monday, November 27, 2017
Time: 9:00am – 5:00pm (Registration starts at 8:45am)
Where: University of British Columbia / Graduate Student Centre / 6371 Crescent Road
No matter what field you’re working in, written communication is a critical part of your day-to-day duties. Regardless of your comfort or skill level, you can benefit from learning techniques to entice your readers and achieve your goals. This workshop will help all professionals hone their writing skills using proven techniques and processes.
To provide opportunities for participants to build on their business writing knowledge and skills through a combination of self-directed activities and in-person, facilitated application. Through their participation, participants will shape their approach to strategically creating clear written communication in a professional setting.
- Gain practical written communication skills to improve engagement with various stakeholders
- Deepen your understanding of writing techniques to concisely grab a reader’s attention and get results
- Learn writing methods that can be applied immediately
- Harness writing processes that maximize preparation and effective writing time
Key Topic Areas:
Preparing to write
- Preparing to write: Gathering ideas , Organization, Scheduling
- Determine relevant information + Structure + Tools: Operational plan, Report, Template, Email
- Estimating + Scheduling + Defending writing time (email, letters, templates)
- Reduction techniques: 1st write, 2nd write, 3rd write
- Report Writing: Top Tips + Samples review
- Tables: Using – how to, when to, + Tips
- Images vs. Words (when to visualize data)
- Organizing Content: Top-down vs. Bottom Up
- Duration estimating: How long will this really take up in my day?
- Call-To-Action: Defining, usage
- Assessing + Respecting audience reading / attention time
Self-Editing + Review
- Proofing techniques
- Grammar + Sentence Structure Top Tips
- Formatting tips + MS Word / MS Excel quick tips
- Improving Clarity, Tone