Practice Your Presentation Skills I – Burnaby
When: Thursday, February 15, 2018
Time: 9:00am – 5:00pm (Registration starts at 8:45am)
Where: Simon Fraser University / Venue TBD
Cost: This workshop, as with all Mitacs workshops, is free for graduate students and postdoctoral fellows. However, the preauthorization of a valid credit card is required as part of the registration process. A $50 penalty will be applied to all late cancellations (cancellations that are not made 5 days or more before the workshop date), no shows, or incomplete attendance. These penalties are only charged after the completion of a workshop and no charges are ever made to those who participate in full.
In this one-day workshop, theory is introduced in short bursts and participants spend the majority of time practicing their presentation skills while receiving onsite feedback.
The focus on extensive practice and feedback is what makes the program meaningful, and is what makes the learning stick.
To create opportunities for participants to build and practice their presentation skills by applying workshop concepts through a series of short presentation practices while receiving in-person peer and expert feedback.
Through participating and completing this workshop, participants will:
- Broaden their understanding of presentation logistics
- Gain a greater ability to persuade and motivate others
- Understand how to plan and structure presentations
- Understand how (and how not to) use visual aids
- Learn to engage others through genuine and authentic presentation
- Learn tools to overcome and manage fears of public speaking
- Gain onsite practice and receive expert and peer feedback
- Be perceived as an expert in their topic area
Key Topic Areas:
- Types Of Presentations
- Mind maps as a design tool
- Constructing your Argument
- Opening & closing
- Length & Breaks
- Q & A
- Why people fear presenting
- Overcoming Fear
Engaging Your Audience
- Developing rapport
- Body language & Voice
- Questioning the audience
- Room Layout
- Getting there early
- Whiteboards & Flipcharts
- Visual Aids
- Presentation Practice
If you have any questions please contact the Training team at firstname.lastname@example.org.