Skills of Communication - Kingston (October 22, 2013)
Skills of Communication – Kingston, ON
When: Tuesday, October 22, 2013
Time: 8:30am-4:30pm (Registration begins at 8:00am)
Where: Queen's University, John Deutsch University Centre (JDUC)
Room: Robert Sutherland Room
Cost: This workshop, as with all Mitacs Step workshops, is free for graduate students. However, the preauthorization of a valid credit card is required as part of the registration process. A $50 penalty will be applied to all late cancellations (cancellations that are not made 5 days or more before the workshop date), no shows, or incomplete attendance. These penalties are only charged after the completion of a workshop and no charges are ever made to students who participate in full. For answers to some frequently asked questions, please visit our help page: http://step.mitacs.ca/faq
The ability to access information and connect with people from around the world at any time is evolving, however we still need to have face-to-face contact. Not only is that how we build deep relationships but it is also beneficial in advancing our work. Research has shown that interacting for only 10 minutes a day improves cognitive performance.
Fine-tune your ability to communicate in academia and industry! We encourage you to take this opportunity to experience first-hand, the power of effective communication whether it be communicating your research through presentation or working within teams.
- Identify obstacles and common mistakes in communication methods
- Learn how to pinpoint your own communication barriers and strategies on how to overcome them
- Learn how to develop focused attention and conversations
- Understand social intelligence and changing outcomes in a more positive way
- Recognize the impact of ineffective communication on teams and workflow
- Understand business conduct principles and how to have difficult conversations
- R.E.A.L Conversation™